This version of cannelloni is a dairy-free play on the Italian classic using eggplant for the pasta and a tomato jam for the cheese. Mustard seeds are the secret ingredient that give this dish its savoryedge, while mint adds that refreshing touch. Use the tomato jam as a condiment on sandwicheswith chicken, pork, lamb, or duck…or even cheese!
- 8 thin slices grilled eggplant
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (preferably black)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Gather these tools: cutting board, chef’s knife, dry measuring cup, measuring spoons, large saute pan, wooden spoon, casserole, offset spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Heat a large saute pan over high heat and add the vegetable oil. Add the mustard seeds and fry for about 10 seconds, or until they start to jump and pop in the pan (keep them moving by gently shaking the pan). Add the garlic, ginger, and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened. Add the sugar, tomatoes, and chopped mint. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Line up the 8 slices of eggplant vertically on a large cutting board. Place of the jam at the bottom of each eggplant slice. Gently roll the eggplant from the bottom to the top and place each “cannelloni” in a casserole rubbed with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes until warm. Garnish with additional mint, if desired.
Provided by: Lauren Braun Costello